[mythtvnz] MythTV upgrade, bleeding code, ready for tester

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 08:51:15 BST 2009

Steve Hodge wrote:

Why such a complicated setup?

It seems like the frontend is trying to access the LiveTV ringbuffer in
/var/lib/mythtv/recordings, rather than wherever else you've got it
symlinked to. Can you verify that the user the frontend runs as can read
files from /var/lib/mythtv/recordings?

The symlinking idea is a new one which I was trying out to try and make
it easier to reinstall everything if I have to in the future.  The
recordings are on a separate XFS partition.  I tried pointing the
mythbackend directly at this directory.  It allows playback of existing
recordings but doesn't improve the current problem.

Aaron Drysdale wrote:
>>> noticed that coinciding with this appearing for the first time a few
>>> weeks ago, it suddenly took a REALLY long time for the HD channel to
>>> come up on the odd occasion that it does work. Maybe scheduled
>>>
> recorded
>
>>> tv doesn't have any timeout, and this is why these work fine? The
>>> channel eventually would play on livetv too, but the frontend has
>>> already timed out at this point? Would this explain the errors in
>>>
> Ross's
>
>>> logs?
>>>
>> Did you have this issue before you had installed 0.21.5 or with stock
>> mythtv 0.21-fixes ?
>>
>> Jean-Yves
>>

> No, I had never seen this before a few weeks ago. Appeared after an
> upgrade, but can't remember exactly which one.
>
> The HD tuner had always taken a long time to change, longer than the SD
> tuner, but I'm talking about a few seconds longer, not 7 or 8 seconds
> longer as it is now.
>
> Aaron

Yeah I downgraded to Intrepid because I was sure that something in the
upgrade to Jaunty caused this problem.  Unfortunately I was stupid
enough to allow all the available updates after downgrading so my
efforts were probably wasted (symptom of coming from the world of
Windoze where updates are critical).  Oh well learnt something about
backing up and restoring mysql DBs!  Aaron, how easy is it for you to
try a reinstall?

I think that there has been an increase in the time its taking to change
channels.  So it may be the backend is taking longer to tune and add the
recording.

Another thing that may be a factor is what system you are running.
There was some allusion to the fact that these problems my be isolated
to AMD_64 users of which I am one.  What version are you using Aaron and
for others who have this card what versions are you running?