[mythtvnz] Channel change stability issues with MythTV andVDPAU in NZ

Aaron Drysdale Aaron.Drysdale at provencocadmus.com
Mon Jun 8 00:58:54 BST 2009

This problem started for me about a week ago, and it is so bad that I
have stopped using my dvb-t card for watching live tv and only use
dvb-s. However, I still use the Nova-T 500 for recording shows. Prior to
this, I had almost never seen this error.

Early last week I upgraded my box to use JYA's latest version from his
release repository. A few days before that, I had installed 185.18.14
nvidia driver as well.

I did have some problems with the install of myth. I had recently
installed monit to monitor my myth backend. During the upgrade, it
failed with an exit status of 127 on the backend. I assumed that this
was because monit had restarted the service during the install. So I
stopped monit, reinstalled, and it worked without a problem.

However, after the upgrade I found I couldn't watch live tv. 8 times out
of 10, it was failing to even go into live tv with the "Encountered a
problem displaying video" message. However I am not getting this problem
with SD. When I do get into live tv on HD, then it usually fails the
first time I try to change the channel.

I have also seen it suddenly come up with this message while I am just
watching live tv and haven't touched the remote, and live tv has been
playing for 20 minutes or more.

I have restarted the machine, and also done a complete power down to
start the card from a cold state. It has made no difference.

So, I have gone back to using the dvb-s card for live tv by switching
the order of the dvb cards in the backend. For the last several days I
have only been using the dvb-s card for watching live tv and browsing,
and haven't seen a problem. I'm not sure if this is related to a problem
in the latest version or whether the failure during the install could
have corrupted my install in some way.

I would happily provide a log if someone could tell me what log is
required, and whether I need to enable any extra logging.

Aaron