[mythtvnz] VLC

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Jun 1 02:25:36 BST 2009

On 1/06/2009, at 12:00 PM, Barry Clearwater wrote:

> I echo this, the WAF factor is low in the house due to the fact that
> the old DVD player gets pulled out to play DVD's.  With winter upon
> us and nights in front of the screen more frequent, I'd be keen to
> find out whats up or if anybody has found a fix for the issue. I
> even replaced the DVD drive unit thinking it had gotten tired, but
> to no avail.
> I too am using 9.04 recently installed.
>
> 2009/5/30 James Booth <james at booths.net.nz>
> Since upgrading my Mythbuntu system to 9.04 I have had lots of
> problems playing DVD's, specifically new ones that I have rented
> that are full of every copy protection trick under the sun. The
> internal player and mplayer will not play the discs, but I find that
> VLC generally will.
>
> Two questions: Firstly, can anyone suggest why the internal player
> and mplayer might not be able to handle these discs, but VLC can,
> and secondly, if I have to use VLC can anyone suggest the best
> command line settings for launching from Myth?

Can you provide me with a couple of examples so we can work out what
copy protection they are using.

One disk I had major problems with is Cars which won't play under
Linux at all, but plays fine under VLC on a Mac.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz