[mythtvnz] Video card for a diskless frontend?

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Jul 20 00:30:27 BST 2009

Stuart,

I was incorrect in listing S-video output on the En9500GT or En9400GT.
The analogue outputs are component & VGA; no S-video.

Your first problem is newer video cards do not have S-video outputs.
Decide if full HD on screen is necessary/worth it.
Use the HD datastream and downscale to S-video to your TV.
Will still look okay.

I think the max. data rate with S-video is 576i50 or  480i60 so not HD
It can still work well.
I still use S-video from SD-DVD player because the TV upscaler is way better
than DVD player component output or  HTPC playback at 1080i.
I have not attempted to optimize the Linux SD DVD playback upscaling because
I don't yet know what to try.

An adaptor/converter from VGA to S-video should be straightforward.
Would require careful VGA modeline setup.
May need to careful consider cost and 'time-to-trash' vs benefit factor of
any adaptor/converter.
The very latest flat panel TVs are just as good (IMHO very subjective) as
CRTs and the price will drop with time.

Note:
VGA is 'just' analogue RGB+Hsync+Vsync (5 signal lines) ignoring EDID etc
etc
Component has couple formats using 3 signal lines YPbPr, sync contained in
one?
Component only exists to not use Vesa VGA connector and/or standard and to
use nasty consumer cables with RCA jacks at over inflated prices.
Component is inferior to VGA. but so what..
S-video has colour (chroma) & brightness (lum) separated sync on lumience
SCART can contain RGB (no separate sync), S-video & composite   sync on one
off S-video signal lines
Most SCART gear uses composite only and it is a connector system with nasty
implementation.

Brett.