[mythtvnz] Video card for a diskless frontend?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 10:24:57 BST 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Brett Miller<blmiller at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi Stuart
>
> I would suggest the EN9500GT-512K with S-video VGA & DVI  (VGA also) $110
> from the right places.
> This is available silent form so better thermal/noise management.
>
> The 9400gt-512K is only $10 less and can not do the hardware de-interlace
> x2.
> Both PCI-e. & DDR2
> These models are avail with DVI HDMI only ? so be careful what you
> order/buy.
> The silent cards are full height & wider ! Beware space/slot requirements.
>
> The video card is sometimes the cheapest component in a PC but the most
> important in a HTPC.
> Too much video grute is a possible waste of power & costs money to run.
> The power management of video cards is still not very effective in real
> tests.
>
> What is the model of TV ?
> The CRT TV will have limited set of operating modes it will sync.
> The TV may perform upscaling/pre-scaling etc.
> Might need to use custom modeline entries for X.
>
> The X server/Nvidia interface/configuration is a big weakness of Linux so
> expect problems.

You will have the LEAST problems out any video card with an nvidia one
if you want a linux HTPC, whether running mythtv, xbmc or most other
software.

True there are some combinations that need a bit of research to get
going. Quite simply video card manufacturers are not particularly
interested in supporting legacy displays, eg CRT, s-video, composite,
and even in some cases component.

IMHO quite simply if you want a good Limux+HTPC experience, you are
best off with a decent LCD or Plasma panel with 1080p at 24/50/60 Hz,
HDMI input and an nVdia VDPAU capable card.

If you have a CRT TV and don't want/can't afford to upgrade then get
an older 5x00/6x00 nVidia card with a suitable output (composite,
s-video, component in reverse order of preference).