[mythtvnz] Video card for a diskless frontend?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 06:40:33 BST 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Stuart Whelan <
mythtv at somepointinthefuture.co.nz> wrote:

> I am looking for advice on what is desirable in a video card for a front
> end.

Are you planning on doing HD? If not then pretty much anything will work -
pushing raw pixels straight to screen is trivial work for any card made in
the last 15 years. Low power nVidia cards have been popular because you can
get fanless ones. I've been happily using a GeForce 5200 for years. If
you've got integrated video then try that first - it should do the job fine.

If you want to use the video card to decode HD video (via VDPAU) then you'll
need to look more closely at which models will work. I recommend
wiki.mythtv.org as a good starting point for research.

Cheers,