[mythtvnz] Video card for a diskless frontend?

Stuart Whelan mythtv at somepointinthefuture.co.nz
Sat Jul 18 06:14:57 BST 2009

Hi Folks,

I am looking for advice on what is desirable in a video card for a front end.

The TV I am driving is a 32" widescreen CRT, which only takes S-Video
or Composite.

The motherboard is it going on has a PCI-e16 slot.

This card will only every be a mythtv card, no gaming functionality required.

I lean heavily towards the Nvidia range, but only because that is all
I have every owned.

When looking at the card, what do I need to take into account?

Is the amount of memory on the card important for myth?

Do I need to go for DDR3 vs DDR2 memory? Does Mythtv push the card that hard?

Is there a specific generation of card that will give me something the
previous ones do not?

I am pretty clueless when it comes to video tech, I am afraid, so any
advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Stuart.