[mythtvnz] Problems connecting to database

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 08:26:32 BST 2009

Hi James,

I have been doing a few reinstalls lately and have trouble with mysql
connections from time to time.  If your remote frontends are not able to
access the backend you could try doing a port scan from one of those
machines to see if the mysql service is available.  On Ubuntu there is a
network tools utility in System > Administration > Network tools.  Use
the port scan screen and enter the IP address.  It should find an open
port (I think 3306) which it recognises as the mysql service.  If this
isn't available you'll need to edit your /etc/mysql/my.conf file on the
backend.  Make sure the bind-address setting is commented out to make
the service available on all network adapters.

If the service is available you could try using phpmyadmin from a remote
machine and try logging in with the mythtv credentials.  Problems I
seemed to have related to the myth-user permissions not allowing access
from remote locations.  You can fix this from phpmyadmin.  I found
deleting the user (don't remove the database by accident!) and
re-entering them fixed my problems.

Ross