[mythtvnz] Going cold turkey (was: MythTV upgrade, bleeding code, ready for tester)

David Lowe david at thistledown.co.nz
Mon Jul 6 03:17:08 BST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:

> The other point I'd make is that if you don't care about the "new
> paradigm", if Live TV is your main thing, then you're probably better off
> with a MySky box or another good PVR. Live TV is simply not one of MythTVs
> strengths. If you must have MythTV then it'll annoy you less if you make a
> conscious effort to adopt the paradigm and forget about LiveTV and to
> convince the other users in your household to do the same.

I've been using MythTV for nearly two years & have found it hard to convince
the family to adopt the new paradigm, until i hit on a solution... give them
no choice. I had an old rear projection TV that I hated and gave away,
planning to upgrade. While searching for the upgrade, I just put a 21"
computer monitor in the lounge. No analogue receiver, no direct sky input,
but a surprisingly clear and watchable picture... they had no choice but to
use Myth (or as my daughter calls it 'Blue'. It's both a noun and a verb
already!).

Three months later, still no 42" replacement and everyone has come to adopt
the new paradigm.

But now the pressure is on to resolve some annoyances which I'll address in
another post...

- David