[mythtvnz] Help please!

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Wed Jan 21 10:19:10 GMT 2009

Hello all,

I just tried to archive a recording on my Mythbuntu setup. The recording
was bigger than a DVD, so I canceled it. Then things started to go
funky with the Media Library showing no recordings and the Upcoming
Recordings missing. I restarted and MythTV couldn't connect to the database.

If I typed:
$ mysql
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

And the /var/run/mysqld directory doesn't seem to exist.

mythbuntu at mythbuntu-server:/var/run$ ls mysql*
ls: cannot access mysql*: No such file or directory

I tried to reinstall mysql-server through synaptic, but got an error
about a subprocess that made me realise that the problem was MythArchive
leaving me with no free space on the root partition.

I have now cleared the space and MySQL seems to be much happier (starts
and mysqldump gives a sensibly-sized file). Unfortunately, I seem to
have broken MythTV's connection to the database in my fiddling. I assume
that I somehow need to change it so that it knows where to find the
MySQL installation and the name/pass of the database.

Normally I would just reinstall Mythbuntu (again), but our TV was
stolen, so I am doing everything over VNC until we get a replacement.
Needless to say, reinstalling with no screen would not be fun.

I have tried renaming the ~/mythtv/ folder, which I thought was where
the backend files were (as distinct from ~/mythbuntu/, where I thought
the frontend files were), but that didn't reset anything or make
anything ask me for the database details.  If I run mythtv-setup, it
prompts me to close running processes, then asks me to run
mythfilldatabase, without doing anything in between.

Can anybody please think of anything?

Thanks a lot,

Aaron