[mythtvnz] help - lost my mythtv database

Mark van Dijk mark.van.dijk at ihug.co.nz
Sun Jan 18 06:48:04 GMT 2009

All fixed (with thanks to Jean-Francois).  I'm still not really sure
what happened, but here's my current theory:

1) filled up the root partition (my own stupidity).  this caused mythtv
and mysql to go down
2) rebooted and freed up all the space.  noticed that MythTv didn't
start normally
3) the next day i tried to see what was going on.  MythTv was completely
unable to see the database.  I played around with mysql tools and
changed various passwords and put things into an even worse state.
4) now the crucial bit - i have a daily cron job that downloads the tv
listings xml file and runs mythfilldatabase.  Something went wrong here,
because this had gone into some kind of hard loop and had created
several GB of log files - filling up my root partition a second time.
5) finally noticed that my partition was full again.  cleaned up the log
files, stopped the cron job, ran mythtv-setup (successfully this time),
and so far (touch wood) things look ok.

So -  i think the whole issue was because either the partition was full
(preventing mysql from starting correctly), or the cron job was
continuously running mythfilldatabase (preventing mythtv-setup from
running normally).

--
Mark van Dijk