[mythtvnz] Sky->smart card reader->MythTV ???

Kristian Haga Karstensen krizze at bluezone.no
Mon Feb 23 20:19:53 GMT 2009

> My brother was interested in setting up a MythTV box, he has
> Sky but is not keen on IR Blasting.
> After some investigation, it looks like it might be possible
> to skip the middleman (Sky decoder box) and use a smart card
> reader plugged directly into the MythTV box to do the
> decoding. There are a couple of NZ forums doing it for
> Windows and I found an Ausie site with a howto for Linux:
> http://omcentre.com.au/Getting-Pay-TV-to-Work-With-MythTV.102.0.html

It's kind of in the gray legally, but with alot of providers it's
possible, and you only get
the channels you pay for. Why it's in the gray is mostly because the
tv-companies lose control
(and of course the possibility of sharing cards etc.). In my world,
though, it's as legal as you make it.

I can confirm this works, with programs/modules called newcs, open-sasc-ng
and a usb-cardreader - though I can not confirm it works with Sky, I live
in Norway, and use it to decode my DVB-C channels.
It can be a pain to get up and running, though, and I don't know the
policy of this list, so I won't
go into details here and risk being sued by the tv-companies ;) Can point
you to a link for installing sasc-ng, though,
the rest of the pieces are easily found with some googling, I would think.

http://dolot.kipdola.com/index.php?title=Install_SASC-NG

-Kristian