[mythtvnz] Sky->smart card reader->MythTV ???

Kenneth Dixon ken.dixon at clear.net.nz
Sun Feb 22 08:23:44 GMT 2009

----- Original Message Follows -----
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Kenneth Dixon
> <ken.dixon at clear.net.nz>wrote:
>
> > My brother was interested in setting up a MythTV box, he
> > has Sky but is not keen on IR Blasting.
>

> Any particular reason why not? I think it's going to be
> much easier to get working. I've been running a blaster on
> a Sky Digital box for several years now and it's 100%
> reliable (so long as someone doesn't unplug it or pull it
> off the box).

He sees it as a bit of a hack and has not had much luck with
reliability also there is the inevitable loss of quality and
overhead associated with converting a digital signal to
analogue then back again.

> > After some investigation, it looks like it might be
> > possible to skip the middleman (Sky decoder box) and use
> > a smart card reader plugged directly into the MythTV box
> > to do the decoding. There are a couple of NZ forums
> > doing it for Windows
>

> Can you post some links? I'd be interested in seeing how
> it's working...

These guys seem to have it going on Windows using some
software called ndscam:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=84&TopicId=21481
but I'm hoping to convince my brother that the MythTV/Linux
option is viable.

http://omcentre.com.au/Getting-Pay-TV-to-Work-With-MythTV.102.0.html