[mythtvnz] COM: Front-end machines

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 23:03:15 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Criggie <criggie at criggie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> If anyone's looking for a used frontend machine I have found these
> available ex-lease.
>
> Small Form Factor box - HP DC7100
> Pentium 4, 3.0GHz
> 512MB DDR RAM,
> 40GB SATA Hard drive
> PCI-express Slot (Half Height only)
> DVD reader / CD Writer drive
>
> They have an XP PRO COA sticker on the case.
>
> Pros
> 1)   PCI E video card slot - you could add an 8400GS Silent 512MB for
> about $100++, or a HDMI capable EN9600GT Black Pearl HDMI 512MB PCIE (not
> silent) for around $220++
> 2)   Small case, they're also quite quiet.
>
> Cons
> 1)   Custom case - if the PSU dies its damn hard to find a replacement.
>
> Some links:
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/69357/hp-compaq-dc7100s.html
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11948_na/11948_na.HTML
>
> If I get interest for four or more I'll do an order.  The price is $250
> +GST +share of the freight.   Replies off list please, and the deadline
> for replies will be Thursday 19th.

One thing to note, these Small Form Factor boxes have PCIe and PCI.
However the PCI slots are half height. You can get a riser and put in
full size PCI cards, but then you can NOT use the PCIe slot.

Have bought one myself (trademe) and will use as a front end only, but
those who might be thinking BE/FE should be aware the PCI slots are
half height only if you want to use PCIe.