[mythtvnz] Chch setup help please?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 01:07:22 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Jim Cheetham <jim at gonzul.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Jim Cheetham <jim at gonzul.net> wrote:
> >> use another appliance as a playback machine, copying files over NFS
> >> shares and so on. No streaming. I lose some features this way, but
> >> gain others.
> >
> > I'm curious about what sorts of features you gain ... can you elaborate?
>
> Playback comes from a Popcorn Hour A110 -
> Description :
> http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=productinfo&item_id=6
>
> This box gets media from multiple sources across the LAN and WAN (to
> be honest, it actually sucks trying to play back YouTube content), but
> for me the biggest win is the 1TB storage onboard (well, I added a
> SATA disk), which gives me someplace to copy all the long-term-storage
> programs (usually kids episodes), and I can leave the Myth backend
> alone to expire whenever it wants to.

I've gone the more traditional way: fileserver with a 3TB RAID 5 for
everything except recordings (which are on a combined fe/be with about 600GB
of space).

> It pre-dates the MythTV in my network, so although I could replace it
> all with a more generic Myth frontend, there's no need to. It can do
> is own bittorrent, podcatching and so on, but I don't use those.

What's the A110 like playback-wise? E.g. is it better or worse than myth for
interlacing (if you've compared; I guess if you're happy it must be pretty
good)? Can it do anything with myth's commercial detection? I presume it's
got skip forward/back? There's no way I'd accept anything these days which
didn't have 30 second skip. I also don't think I could live without
timestretch.

Cheers,