[mythtvnz] Chch setup help please?

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Wed Dec 30 00:41:41 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Jim Cheetham <jim at gonzul.net> wrote:
>> use another appliance as a playback machine, copying files over NFS
>> shares and so on. No streaming. I lose some features this way, but
>> gain others.
>
> I'm curious about what sorts of features you gain ... can you elaborate?

Playback comes from a Popcorn Hour A110 -
Description : http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=productinfo&item_id=6

This box gets media from multiple sources across the LAN and WAN (to
be honest, it actually sucks trying to play back YouTube content), but
for me the biggest win is the 1TB storage onboard (well, I added a
SATA disk), which gives me someplace to copy all the long-term-storage
programs (usually kids episodes), and I can leave the Myth backend
alone to expire whenever it wants to.

It pre-dates the MythTV in my network, so although I could replace it
all with a more generic Myth frontend, there's no need to. It can do
is own bittorrent, podcatching and so on, but I don't use those.

The newer C-200 looks like a much better box; specifically GBit
networking would make file transfer a bit more bearable. But still a
nice small general Linux box might do better, given that we have other
decent devices on the network.

-jim