[mythtvnz] Internet Traffic

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 20:05:51 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> [...]

But there can be lineup changes for ANY day. When you run
mythfilldatabase you are not just adding a day.

> however...
>
> I've been checking out why I have a large hourly traffic spike that lasts about 2 minutes @ ~500kbps, same time each hour is
> occurring on my network.  I caught about 200 new states during one of these, all feeding my myth BE box - receiving data from movie
> databases at
>
> http://72.21.211.32/

imdb

> http://207.171.166.140/

imdb

> http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/

self explanatory

> It seems to me if one is worried about traffic load, one should look for the major traffic sources first....
>
> These sites seem to be all about movie information, - at a guess the images seen on the recording page screen, can I turn those off
> somewhere to confirm that is the source?  (This is on 0.22)

I am not on 0.22 but I am sure you should be able to turn this off. If
you want to see what program is doing this run

sudo netstat -tanp

during one of the spikes.

> While they look smart I prefer to be able to read the fore text without their visual interference.  IMO they'd have been better
> taking up a window and not the whole screen.
>
> Anyway does level of traffic warrant some discussion?

Not really IMHO. But if it does require discussion I would have
thought the mythtv-users list was the place for it.