[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu 9.10 HDMI audio for nvidia?

Dr. David J. Knowles dknowles at clearfield.com
Sun Dec 20 21:46:38 GMT 2009

Stuart Whelan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Stuart Whelan
>> <mythtv at somepointinthefuture.co.nz> wrote:
>> You have given us little to go on. What card? What steps have you
>> takne? With what result?
>>
>> Have you read this?:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/AllensDigitalAudioHowto
>>

> I had not found that one, thanks for the link.
>
> I am using a Galaxy GeForce 9500GT connected to a Sony LCD TV.
>
> The TV is connected via a DVI -> HDMI cable.
>
> The OS is pretty much an out of the box Mythbuntu 9.10 with a system
> update run as of yesterday.
>
> I am using the nividia 185.18 drivers.
>
> Previous to this I was connecting to the TV using a DVI -> VGA and an
> audio cable from the on-board sound card to RCA audio in on the TV.
>
> I have run alsamixer and enabled the IEC958 output.
>
> Last night I tried the various MythTv frontend settings for "Audio
> output device" and "Passthrough output device". Some of the options
> included an option for HDMI output, but I was unable to hear anything
> no matter what settings I tried.
>
> I did not change the "Max Audio Channels" setting, and I had the
> aggressive sound buffering turned on, so that are two things for me to
> try.
>
> However I did notice this:
> --
> frontend at frontend:/var/log$ aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> --
>
> No HDMI mentioned there, although I am running the command from work
> and the TV may be switched off. Not sure if that matters.
>
> When I started the thread I was more looking for a 'No, it doesnt work
> yet' or a 'Yes, it should work', thus the lack of info.
>
> Thanks the quick reply!
> Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I have used a number of the Nvidia graphics cards and if they have HDMI
connectors on the back they normally support Digital audio over the HDMI
connector. The cards themselves do not however have any audio hardware
on them. How it works is that the graphics cards come with a connector
cable which connects the graphics card to the internal S/PDIF connectors
on the mother board. The card then uses the motherboard internal audio
hardware and adds it to the HDMI connection. Did you do this?

I also have a Sony Bravia LCD TV. The other thing I noticed about this
was when I was playing around with my PS3 connected to it. I had the
following connections set up: PS3 ->via HDMI->Sony TV->Digital
Audio->5.1 Audio Receiver.

I was never able to get 5.1 out of the TV. The HDMI was set up to send
5.1 but the TV reduced this to stereo out when sending it to the
Receiver. I am not sure but it may have to do with the copy protection
etc. In the end I was forced to use the S/PDIF output on the PS3
directly to the Receiver which worked fine.

I hope this helps.

David