[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu 9.10 HDMI audio for nvidia?

Stuart Whelan mythtv at somepointinthefuture.co.nz
Sun Dec 20 20:47:10 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Stuart Whelan
> <mythtv at somepointinthefuture.co.nz> wrote:
> You have given us little to go on. What card? What steps have you
> takne? With what result?
>
> Have you read this?:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/AllensDigitalAudioHowto

I had not found that one, thanks for the link.

I am using a Galaxy GeForce 9500GT connected to a Sony LCD TV.

The TV is connected via a DVI -> HDMI cable.

The OS is pretty much an out of the box Mythbuntu 9.10 with a system
update run as of yesterday.

I am using the nividia 185.18 drivers.

Previous to this I was connecting to the TV using a DVI -> VGA and an
audio cable from the on-board sound card to RCA audio in on the TV.

I have run alsamixer and enabled the IEC958 output.

Last night I tried the various MythTv frontend settings for "Audio
output device" and "Passthrough output device". Some of the options
included an option for HDMI output, but I was unable to hear anything
no matter what settings I tried.

I did not change the "Max Audio Channels" setting, and I had the
aggressive sound buffering turned on, so that are two things for me to
try.

However I did notice this:
--
frontend at frontend:/var/log$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]

No HDMI mentioned there, although I am running the command from work
and the TV may be switched off. Not sure if that matters.

When I started the thread I was more looking for a 'No, it doesnt work
yet' or a 'Yes, it should work', thus the lack of info.

Thanks the quick reply!
Stuart.