[mythtvnz] DNLA/UPnP server

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Dec 8 06:13:28 GMT 2009

On 8/12/2009, at 6:51 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:25:00 +1300, you wrote:
>
> > Just to add my 2c.  Do the Sony Bravias you tested on have in-built
> >freeview decoders?  If they do (like the ones now coming on the market)
> >wouldn't they have to be able to be able to decode mpeg2 container and H.264
> >streams that are currently broadcast on FreeviewHD (including the
> >LATM-AAC)?  Or are they not able to tune all Freeview channels?
>
> Almost all LCD TVs now on sale have FreeviewHD tuners, and the Sony
> V5500 models all do.  So they can play what comes off the air.  But
> the transport stream format that MythTV uses to store that data is
> something they do not support, unfortunately.
>
> I may be mistaken, but I thought Steve tried simply copying a FreeviewHD recording onto a USB stick and plugging that into the TV. In that case the format is exactly the same as what came off the satellite - MythTV doesn't do anything too it. I suppose it could be that the TV supports a different list of formats for USB/DNLA than it does for broadcast.

I've tried this with Sony Bravia's and some recent Samsung sets.

None of the streams worked on the Bravia's but most worked on the Samsung TVs. All the test files played under recent builds of VLC and mplayer and were direct copies of the MythTV files.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz