[mythtvnz] DNLA/UPnP server

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Dec 8 06:04:46 GMT 2009

---- Original Message -----
From: Ross and Jemima Knudsen
To: stephen at jsw.gen.nz ; MythTV in NZ
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] DNLA/UPnP server

2009/12/8 Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:25:00 +1300, you wrote:

> Just to add my 2c.  Do the Sony Bravias you tested on have in-built
>freeview decoders?  If they do (like the ones now coming on the market)
>wouldn't they have to be able to be able to decode mpeg2 container and H.264
>streams that are currently broadcast on FreeviewHD (including the
>LATM-AAC)?  Or are they not able to tune all Freeview channels?

>Almost all LCD TVs now on sale have FreeviewHD tuners, and the Sony
V5500 models all do.  So they can play what comes off the air.  But
the transport stream format that MythTV uses to store that data is
something they do not support, unfortunately.

>But if its being streamed by the Myth box surely it must be possible to convert it back (losslessly) into the original format it
>was received in and the TV should have the hardware/software to play it if it can play natively from the signal received?

Interesting discussion and progress.

If the Sony Freeview tuners in the V and W series use the standard broadcast stream then perhaps the stream that is filtered out of
the hhdhomeruns might also be played by the Sony TV's?

However the hdhomerun streams in .ts format and based on what's been said already the TV's are unlikely to play a native hdhomerun
.ts stream either?  (Maybe some can test?)

This implies to me these Sony TVs also convert the live TV transmission into AVCHD before they play it.  (I am not clear on the
difference however it seems there is one!)

Following this logic for the TV to natively play the standard mythtv stream, it would have to (in simple terms) go in via the
antennae - and not via ethernet - where it needs to be in AVCHD form.

What does a DLNA TV offer ahead of a mythtv frontend?  The only thing I can see is that it lacks the mythtv frontend hardware - and
also a heap of functionality that Sony have not brought anything to my attention to say that the DLNA functionality is going to
increase much in the medium term.  That is to say it seems a mythtv frontend is going to be superior for some time to come, and the
limits of these FE's are mostly related to the CPU and secondarily the video card also.