[mythtvnz] DNLA/UPnP server

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 03:58:29 GMT 2009

2009/12/8 Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>

> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:25:00 +1300, you wrote:
>
> > Just to add my 2c.  Do the Sony Bravias you tested on have in-built
> >freeview decoders?  If they do (like the ones now coming on the market)
> >wouldn't they have to be able to be able to decode mpeg2 container and
> H.264
> >streams that are currently broadcast on FreeviewHD (including the
> >LATM-AAC)?  Or are they not able to tune all Freeview channels?
>
> Almost all LCD TVs now on sale have FreeviewHD tuners, and the Sony
> V5500 models all do.  So they can play what comes off the air.  But
> the transport stream format that MythTV uses to store that data is
> something they do not support, unfortunately.

But if its being streamed by the Myth box surely it must be possible to
convert it back (losslessly) into the original format it was received in and
the TV should have the hardware/software to play it if it can play natively
from the signal received?

> >One interesting thing to note is that I have tried playing back a
> recording
> >from Myth on my Windows 7 laptop.  It won't play the audio as I'm assuming
> >its LATM.  However I have a HDHomerun tuner on my network and when
> accessing
> >it using Windows MC it plays all channels fine.  So there might be
> something
> >in the way Myth processes the stream which means that Windows doesn't
> select
> >the right decoders.  I would look into it a bit more but my laptop is now
> >kaput.  :-(
>
> You need to add LATM AAC support to Vista, so I would think it would
> also work for Windows 7.  Get the MONOGRAM AAC Decoder:
>
>  http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/directshow-filters/
>
> and put the mmaacd.ax file somewhere (I have a \exe directory on my
> PATH that I use for small things like that).  Then from the command
> line in that directory do this:
>
>  regsrv32 mmaacd.ax
>
> That allows some programs, such as GBPVR and MediaPortal, to play LATM
> AAC.  Or just use VLC:
>
>  http://www.videolan.org/vlc
>
> I think VLC has LATM AAC support builtin.

Yip you are correct on all counts here.  But if you want to use Windows MC
or WMP you can't make it work.  At best its a convoluted registry hack to
get it to work.  No matter now though.