[mythtvnz] Transcoding help?...

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 09:14:40 BST 2009

Hi all,

Well I was hoping that I might be able to do this all by myself but it
doesn't look like I will be able to.  I've been trying hard to figure
out how to transcode recordings so i can store them and free up my
recording drive.  Last time around it was suggested that Handbrake was
able to transcode recordings relatively losslessly.  I gave this a go
using the specified parameters and ended up with a lot of large files
the majority of which wouldn't play back.

However one good thing did come from that is that I managed to use the
patch (based on Paul Kendalls patch) Handbrake have for ffmpeg and apply
it to the ffmpeg svn, compile and install it.  Now ffmpeg can correctly
identify the streams in recordings but I can't get it to transcode
successfully.  If anyone is keen to try giving this a go and try and get
it to work that would be awesome.  I've tried as much as I can think of
but I'm still a relative newbie to linux and digital video.  If there is
some interest I can provide how I managed to do the above.

Initially I'm trying to transcode the audio only (copy the video stream)
so that I can further process the video like in Avidemux, DeVeDe, etc.
This should be a relatively quick process as it doesn't have to
re-encode the video.

Regards
Rossco