[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu card installed but not recording

Brendan Gray bpgray at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:30:46 BST 2008

I'm new to this, so pls be gentle :)

I took the plunge and installed Mythuntu on a spare PC I had laying
around.

I took advice and installed a Technotrend S-1401 DVB-S Card. Mythtv
picked up the card fine, I went through and tweaked the LNB settings,
etc.

I ran the tv_grab_nz-py mini howto  - http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/290834

I followed the "Configuring a DVB-S Card" here - http://pvr.geek.nz/w/index.php/MythTV_DVB-S

So I have the channels listed ok, and can browse the programme guide,
setup records, etc.

However when I go into Watch LiveTV or try to watch recorded
programmes nothing comes up, the screen kinda goes black, then goes
back to the main Mythtv menu?

Any idea's, or general directions to head in?

I also have 2 other SATA drives in the PC, but cannot get Mythtv to
pick these up/recognise them. Ideally I want to have them formatted so
my other Mac & Window machines can see them as well and use them as
backup drives over the network?

Cheers
[update] Steve over at Geekzone forums kindly pointed me in this
direction with the following other lead;

"Second you need to check that your Transport streams are correct.
There appears to be an issue where the channel scanner can sometimes
invert the values for a given multiplex, so make sure the polarity is
H. "

I've gone in & checked the polarity is indeed H. Changed from Auto, to
On, then Off to see if any of those worked?

When exiting out of the Mythtvsetup config, i get an error message;

Cannot creat a file //.test - directory is not writable.

Do you want to fix these problems?

I hit Yes please, screen goes blank then goes back to the Myth Config
screen. I exit, come back to this same cannot screen. So then I choose
No, I know what I'm doing. It exits, but obviously there is something
wrong here?