[mythtvnz] Upgrade Mythbuntu 7.10 to 8.04lts to get 0.21

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Sep 25 03:50:29 BST 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:30:26 +1200, you wrote:

>2008/9/25 Noel & Di <noel at igrin.co.nz>
>
>> Hi all
>> I currently run Ubuntu 7.10 and want to get the new multi-rec capability
>> of myth 0.21.  What is the simplest way to upgrade - (I have ceased my
>> efforts trying to get myth to use a second HDD for expanded  storage,
>> lack of knowledge and fruitless hours of perusing the forums has taken
>> it's toll on the WAF).  Should I use Mythbuntu's package manager to
>> upgrade - then how do I get 0.21 in there without losing all my
>> previously recorded programs?
>> Thanks
>> Noel,
>> an old DOS junkie who is slowly coming to grips with linux.

>I'm pretty sure that there is 0.21 for 7:10...
>
>I did have a couple of issues with the update... the main one being that the
>input table doubled up entries for the a pvr150 card which you couldn't see
>in the UI but you could in the DB (This caused recordings to fail), had to
>fix it by manually deleting the entry in mysql.
>
>0.21 has recording groups as well which will make your second HDD easier to
>setup
>
>It will keep all your recordings, schedules etc intact
>
>Multirec seems to work very nicely... its worth it ;)
>
>Note: you could also do a distro update to hardy 8.04 (general upgrade
>applies)
>http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/04/23/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-710-to-ubuntu-804/
>
>Jason Taylor

The safe thing to do would be to first shut down the myth box and
backup its system partition - if you have another PC with enough room
and an Ethernet connection, this is easy enough to do using
Clonezilla.  I have a bootable Gparted/Clonezilla live CD that I use
for this.  Then you can do whatever changes you like, test them to see
what happens and then if you are running into problems you can just
backup the new system and restore the old one in time for the day's
recordings.  This presumes that your recordings are on a different
partition from the system, which is usually the case.

Or you could plug on a new (external?) drive and install the new
software there first, in parallel with the existing 7.10/0.20.  Then
you can swap between the two very rapidly and have the recordings
going from the new system to a completely different partition from the
old system, until everything is working.  Then finally migrate the
database from the old to the new.

Or you could copy the old system partition from the old disk to the
new one, and upgrade the copy and test things without affecting the
old system.  Then when it is working, just stop using the old system
partition and only use the new one.  And repeat the process next time
you need to upgrade.