[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu 8.04.1 - PVR-150 and NOVA S +

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 13 05:42:39 BST 2008

Hi Mythtvers

I'm having another(!) go at setting up mythtv in Wellington, using

MythBuntu 8.04.1
CPU AMD 2400
RAM 3G
Video NVIDIA 5 series AGP 128M with VGA and Composite out
500G SATA HDD
PVR-150, mainly for PRIME
NOVA-S DVB-S for other channels, if works well might add a second one.
I want to feed a VGA monitor and also concurrently stereo / composite video to an AV receiver.

I find running the setup I can only get the PVR-150 detected, with a number of options, the x50 one would seem the appropriate one.

However using the DVB option the NOVA is not detected.

How do I get the NOVA-S to detect?  Its dish input is currently connected to a 2 way splitter, to a working dish, the 2nd leg is to a STB feeding 12V to the LNB.  The STB works fine.  NOVA-S is in the second PCI slot from the AGP slot.

I am not sure about the Video Source setup and the grabber, it seems of DVB-S was detected I could pull an EPG off that, however its not detecting....

For the 150 is it correct that no grabber should be selected?  (And if not what does one use instead?)

Have detected and added the analogue channels, however currently rebooting, the black start mythbuntu screen is shown, finishes loading the little bar, then it goes blank, hangs or something!  Hmmm.

Is mythbuntu the best distribution for the above hardware?

Are there any local links that might give me some setup direction?

I hope to serve the boxes name from the firewall using a DHCP server to assign hostname and IP address, as everything else on the LAN does, not sure if there is anything special to do for this.

Earlier I had managed to get a non copy protected DVD to play, with impressive picture quality on a 1600 x 1200 monitor, silent of course though!

My plan is to use this box as combined front / back end, and assuming it gets to work to later add front ends.

Subsequently I want to work up a HD box using a dual NOVA-T 500 when I have got the hang of the (simpler?) SD options,  Maybe HD will have got to the point of being workable with TV3.  Current H/W plan is to use a 3G Pentium / 4 G RAM with an AGP NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, which is said to have H.264 capability, I realise the Linux drivers are not yet available.  I am not sure if such a config will have enough CPU to do the job, but noting some comments about single processors only being utilised in dual CPU's would suggest to me it might be viable?

Also not sure if that video card will have enough grunt, but if it is H.264 capable, then I assume it should eventually be?

In advance, many thanks.

Kind regards
David Hingston