[mythtvnz] Hauppauge NOVA-T-500 and Hauppauge NOVA-T-500 HD

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 22:17:09 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> Re The card is recognised by recent kernels out of the box and after some
> initial mythtv config issues it works great.
>
> When you say it "works great", I hope you do not mind if I ask what do you
> mean by that?
> Are you displaying HD TV3 fine with it?
> At what resolutions?
> What channels can you get and display correctly with the card?
> Thank you for all the other responses also.

What you need to realise is that the card does not display anything.
It just dumps the stream it receives to the PCI bus, and myth dumps it
to hard drive. Whatever resolution, bitrate and codec that are
broadcast is dumped, there is no processing of the video & audio
streams on the card. (Other than to tune a particular transponder and
extract the particular PID's - although that latter part may indeed be
done in software).

So any card that has linux drivers and a good tuner (and they do vary)
should give the same results.

The key to actually watching is the playback software and the power of
your system - which is mainly dependent on the CPU.

Apparently the popcornhour playback devices are shortly to get he-aac
sound support, at which time they should be great for playback from a
myth box via uPnP.

Nick.