[mythtvnz] jumpy video

David Lowe david at thistledown.co.nz
Sun Sep 7 22:02:20 BST 2008

My understanding of XFS is that is does not write new files in fragments in
the first place (unlike, say, DOS) because of the clever way it does lazy
writes. Therefore, the only way a file can become fragmented is if you
change it's size significantly. This tends not to happen with media
recordings - the file is created and that's pretty much it until you delete
it. (unlike documents and spreadsheets that get updated.)

Consequently, I woudn't think there's going to be much to gain from
fragmenting XFS.

And there are some gotchas - people report losing files. So I'd use it with
some considerable caution and only after appropriate research.

- D