[mythtvnz] freeview HD on an AMD X2 6000+

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sun Oct 19 23:20:05 BST 2008

On 20/10/2008, at 10:50 AM, Steven Ellis wrote:

> On 20/10/2008, at 10:35 AM, Andrew Richards wrote:
>
>> Steve,
>>
>> I get: 2600000 2400000 2200000 2000000 1800000 1000000
>>
>> Playing back the recording of Bones from last night: it does work, I
>> think. I just watched for 2-3 mins, then got a couple of small skips.
>> Its as if it is right on the edge, the smallest change means it
>> losses
>> sync. Hence I would like to force AAC, even that tinny difference
>> miht
>> help. Plus the 6 channel AC3 sound is very quite when running in two
>> channels as I have to, and it is annoying having to turn the
>> speakers up
>> near max.
>
> The AAC audio is likely to have more of a performance hit than the
> AC3 as the current AAC decoder isn't particularly efficient.
>

>> Will try that Bones recording again with the governor set to
>> performance.
>
> Based on your setting if I set my max speed to 2.6 I should be able
> to simulate your CPU.
>
> I'll have a go later today.

Hmm That was quick.. I used a recorded episode of Medium in HD

My playback profile is as follows with the core pegged to 2.6 GHz to
simulate an X2 5200+

CPU ++

Decoder = Standard
Max CPUs = 2
Loopfilter = off
xv-blit + softblend + OSD Fade
Primary Deinrerlacer = Bob 2x

Now this had some playback problems with occasional skipping and one
of the Cores alway at 100%

Then I tried a CPU+ profile still with Bob deinterlacer and I'm still
running at 99%+ on one core and some minor skipping

Then I tried CPU+ with single field deinterlacer and again 100% CPU
and still some minor skipping.

I then bumped the max speed to 2.8 GHz and got similar load but less
skipping

Going up again to 3GHz and things all smothed out. Max load per core
was in the 86-90% load  and mythfrontend was generally under 100%.

Sadly once I go up to 3GHz the CPU gets so hot that the fan has to
speed up and the test rig is too noisy..

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz