[mythtvnz] freeview HD on an AMD X2 6000+

Robert (MythTV) mythtv at isolutions.co.nz
Tue Oct 14 02:36:31 BST 2008

Hi Steven,

For the 'picture in picture' effect issue, disable the MHEG support for
now. From my research and experimentation, there is a bug in the MHEG
support which is due to the rendering code trying to allocate/draw the
received content into a buffer. Sometimes this fails, and there is a
second buffer (erroneously) created, leading to the picture in picture
effect. I haven't been able to see how/why this happens (no real time to
debug), but simply disabling it solves the problem. Who needs to know
the Lotto number results anyways? (30 million and counting ... yikes!).

I'm about to do a full rebuild of my Core 2 Duo E7200 (and an E8400)
system this weekend with Ubuntu 8.04.1 and Paul's patches - maybe adding
some extra 'juice' with some performance related code changes I'd
previously done, and see how it all goes. Using the E7200 I've been able
to watch TV3 with my own loop filter patches quite happily (barring the
front-end crashing - *grumble*), without stutter and otherwise without
issues.

I'd already done the same as you have, limiting the frequency
scaling/governor to prevent stuttering from the load switching CPU cores
and frequencies. I found that this already helped markedly in keeping
the performance constant. Also I'd set up the processing, and
de-interlacing as I'd specified in a post I made earlier - combination
system with analog and DVB-T, patched/updated v4l drivers, and all that
is working well.

I'm using an Abit I-N73H HDMI GeForce7100 (nForce 630i) Motherboard
($110 is the cheapest on PriceSpy), and a friend is using the comparable
Asus version. Being a fully integrated solution, it works quite well,
and I've had few (if any) issues with it. Video performance is excellent
(given no H.264 hardware assisted acceleration anyways), HDMI, D-Sub,
Optical SP/DIF, 7.1 Channel Audio, and the performance of the
board/chipset itself can't be beat for the price.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?fMTYPE=LGA775&pMODEL_NAME=I-N73H

Granted, this is an inexpensive solution, but the only thing it doesn't
have which you want is Composite/Component/S-Video ... which potentially
could be served by either a D-Sub converter (hack), or by using a
different nVidia card with built-in Video Out, since the motherboard has
a PCI-E x 16 slot available.

Regards,
   Robert.

---