[mythtvnz] Hello and a transcoding problem...

banksie at paradise.net.nz banksie at paradise.net.nz
Wed Oct 1 03:13:48 BST 2008

Just wanted to say hello to the list, I am a Wellington based linux newbie and
I've recently set up an old machine as an Ubuntu 8.04 based mythtv 0.21 box. It
is an AMD Athlon XP 3000+, socket 754, with 2Gb of RAM and a Nova T 500 HD as
the DVB-T TV reception card.

I've got most of the system running but I do have one curl I am at a loss to
figure out right now. Because my box isn't the most CPU endowed of machines I am
taking to transcoding the received programs using mythtranscode into an RTjpeg
format. This chews disc space naturally enough but drops the playback
requirements into something my machine can handle. (It can do TVNZ 6, 7 and C4
live but anything else and it runs out of juice.)

By doing this I can watch TV1 and TV2 programming quite nicely and I have been
very happy with the quality of picture I am getting. (This is being output to a
16:9 SD TV so I am easily pleased on the picture quality front.) But I can't do
this with TV3 output. The files transcode happily enough but while the video is
fine the sound output is wrong - it is acting like the sound has been speed
shifted to about half speed so that everyone is talking very deeply and slowly -
not at all suitable to watch. Does anyone have any practical suggestions for how
to diagnose/fix this issue? I am open to using a different transcoding tool if
someone can give me a few pointers as to how to integrate it into mythtv...

Philip