[mythtvnz] PulseAudio and MythTV

banksie at paradise.net.nz banksie at paradise.net.nz
Mon Nov 24 23:26:30 GMT 2008

Okay, sucker for punishment that I am, I took the plunge of upgrading my myth
box to Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex in the hopes of fixing my lirc button non-repeating
issue. After much breakage and wrangling, thanks to a four hour stint by my
linux clued friend Ewen, I now have a mostly working box once again. And yes
Intrepid does fix the lirc issue I had.

However Intrepid now uses PulseAudio by default and I am having some issues with
that and Myth. I can get sound to work by setting the output device to
ALSA:pulse but for love nor money I can't get the mixer to work.

Irrespective of whether I turn on or off internal volume mixing I end up with a
volume control that displays on screen a volume level but isn't actually
controlling the audio. So clearly I am linking to the wrong mixer.

But I have tried using ALSA:default and ALSA:pulse as the mixer device with no
great effect.

Anyone got myth working with pulse audio and can offer some clues here?

The stupid thing is that I have xine using pulse and it now does volume control
happily using its internal software mixing - which is what I want myth to do as
well. (Once I realised pulse needed to be told I have a 5.1 setup that is.)

This is using an AC97 sound chip on an Nvidia motherboard so it identifies
itself as a CK804 sound device.

Philip