[mythtvnz] Home ethernet over power ?

James Ogle mythtvnz at ogle.co.nz
Sat May 24 12:05:53 BST 2008

when I was a kid we had an intercom system throughout the house that
used the same technique.

when it says the same circuit, it means the power points need to be on
the same phase. Some older houses use separate phases from the lines
running past your house for different sections of the house or for
heating.

As the power cables in your walls are totally unshielded it introduces
a heap of interference, when the intercom we had was in use, the
portable phone would crackle and hiss. Maybe the newer digital devices
are better but I'd be wary of them.

-James