[mythtvnz] Return to NZ

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Wed May 21 10:22:32 BST 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 20:12:29 NZ Russ wrote:
>   I have to admit that I haven't
> used any of the webscraping tools or the unofficial feeds. Partly as I'm
> not sure where they are (www) or just how reliable they are, but also to
> ease my (and your) Internet GB/Month (p2p anyone?. Also it seems to be a
> constant game of cat and mouse with cease and desist letters from what I
> see on the MythtvNZ site - so telling me to 'shove off and use those' might
> also be the answer.

The EPG from epg.pvr.geek.nz/epg/  (generated with epgsnoop) are available for
you to use. Although if you have a DVB-S card you can generate the same
things yourself.

> It IS great having the EPG off the EIT on Freeview, and while I believe it
> is getting better (it seems thanks to Steve talking with Freeview), I think
> it has way to go.

From what I've seen the Sky EPG is still better than the stuff coming from
Freeview. Both can be downloaded from the satelitte in the EIT stream by
tuning to the different transponders.

> I'm also not sure the EIT stream supports all the info
> that MythTv can accept (anyone?),

Myth does support more info than that which is in EIT stream in NZ, epgsnoop
tries to augment it if it can.

> I'd be interested in any ideas and am willing to make some calls if we can
> collectively come up with a robust approach that benefits everyone. Perhaps
> Advertising in the EPG Stream? Paying for a XML feed from "TV guide"?   I
> have some good friends in marketing companies that have regular contact
> with these companies.

As far as I can tell the networks aren't interested in having anything to do
with it. Unfortunately.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware