[mythtvnz] Rig Recommendations

Criggie criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Tue May 6 04:46:00 BST 2008

Michael Dilger wrote:
> I made the mistake of not knowing the motherboard I was purchasing well
> enough.   It has a built-in tiny fan on the northbridge.  Every year
> that fan gets louder and more annoying, and I can't easily swap out the
> motherboard can I?    When you go for silent, be very sure the
> motherboard complies.

You want http://www.quietpc.com/nz/vgamb.html

The blue ones are taller which equals more surface area, but height may be
an issue. $12.86 or $14.78.  They need push pin holes to hold, or you can
use thermally conductive epoxy.  Some heatsinks can be very hard to get
off - don't break it.

A drop of thermal paste is a very good idea.

Or you can remove the old fan and suspend some large case fan over the
remains of the heatsink.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/