[mythtvnz] First time MythTV box - some questions...

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat May 3 04:40:09 BST 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Phill Coxon <phill at getresults.co.nz> wrote:

> 2) I will be using this box to record content off our sky decoder so I
> can watch movies / documentaries etc at a later date.
>
> What's the best way to connect the sky box ouput to the PVR-150? It has
> a scart cable attached at the moment but no s-video lead.  Does anyone
> know if I can replace that with a scart cable with s-video on it to plug
> into the PVR-150?

Yes, you can. At least with all the Sky Digital decoder models I've had.
This is what I do.

> 3) What's the best way to integrate mythtv so that I can select and mark
> content I want to record?
>
> Can I use the mythtv EPG to view sky listings, select programs to record
> and have the IR blaster tell the sky box what to do at the right time?

Yes - this is the best way to go. You shouldn't need to use the Sky EPG at
all. You need to get the blaster working with the Sky box, which usually
isn't too hard. You'll also need to get the Sky EPG data into mythtv -
probably via a download in your case. If you've got Sky Digital I'd
seriously consider getting a DVB card too. That would get you Freeview and
allow you to grab the Sky EPG directly from the satellite.

Cheers,