[mythtvnz] Telstraclear Cable Free to air

Duncan Kennington duncan.kennington at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 23:23:17 BST 2008

  > I have been happily using mythtv on debian to record freeview out of
>  > Dunedin for a couple of years.
>  > I have recently shifted to Wellington and unfortunately don't have a
>  > dish on the roof, I do however have cable coming in and am using it
>  > for internet.
>  > What I would like to know is:
>  >
>  > Is there any way to get the FTA Telstraclear channels without a set
>  > top box?
>  >

>  From what I heard Yes.
>  Any analog TV card.  FTA Channels aren't in the frequencies you'd expect
>  them to be...
>
> > If so, how do you split the cable and what kind of card do you use?
>  >

> TCL use F connectors, most TV cards use standard 75 ohm fittings, RG6
>  may be good enough.
>  Most TCL installations have a splitter mounted where the cable enters
>  the property.
>  I'd be careful, if you don't do it properly you may well introduce
>  reflections back into TCL's cable.  Making them very unhappy with you as
>  well as your neighbours!

TelstraClear do broadcast most/all (it's been a while since I looked)
of the FTA channels on their cable unencrypted.  However if you are
not paying for their cable service in some way (either CATV or Cable
internet) they normally disconnect the cable at the "tap".  This is
the connection point to the distribution cable either in the green box
outside if you have underground connections or up the pole.  You won't
see anything on the cable if they have done this.

If you ARE paying for some cable service and/or the cable is connected
to their network, you should be able to tune it using a PVRx50 or some
other normal UHF/VHF tuner card, however it IS against the T&Cs.  I
knew several of their QC techs who where not unfamiliar with sending
500 volts down the cable of anyone they found doing this.  Not saying
it would happen to you - most of those old school techs have moved on
- but let's just say I wouldn't do it.

Forewarned is forearmed. :)

Good luck,
Duncan