[mythtvnz] 0.21 and MultiRec stability

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Mar 27 22:48:30 GMT 2008

> Now that a couple of people on list are using this I'm wondering what
> builds they are running and how stable it is.
>
> I'm trialling two builds, Debian Multimedia and Mythbuntu 8.04 Beta. I've
> got a single SkyStar 2 card mapped as 4 virtual tuners.
>
> For my test I set up 3 recordings off the tvnz multiplex (12483) and then
> channel surf. Usually within a couple of channel changes I either get a
> tuning error and Live TV exits, or the frontend crashes.
>
> Now both of these builds are off 0.21 and don't appear to have any updates
> out of 0.21-fixes applies at this stage.

I've been following SVN trunk for the last 2 years and have just parked up
onto 0.21-fixes while the dust settles on the qt4 merge for 0.22 in trunk.

Its totally rock solid for me - no backend issues whatsoever for at least
a year, even during/after the multirec merge, and 90% of my frontend
issues (mostly due to running a Via Epia SP13000 which is not mainstream)
have gone with 0.21 by using the 'slim' playback profile rather than one
using the XvMC-VLD options.

I used to expect the frontend to run 5-6 days without a hang, its now 2
weeks and counting...

Note that I run Gentoo as my environment and I hand build MythTV (well a 3
line script anyway!!) using ccache so your dependencies may vary!!

--
Robin Gilks