[mythtvnz] How can I use the MHEG-5 stream to schedule programs?

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Mar 25 23:43:39 GMT 2008

On Wed, March 26, 2008 11:07 am, Greg Brackley wrote:
> I've been 'playing' with the DVB-T signal with a plan [1] to get it going
> with MythTV. I've built (assembled) myself a quad tuner card [2], and the
> next thing I was looking into is getting a program guide. Up until now I
> have used the EIT data from the Freeview (satellite). I'm quite keen to
> get
> the data from the DVB-T source (and not rely on a third party). Is it
> possible to get a machine readable feed from the MHEG-5 stream? Is there
> an
> XML TV grabber for MHEG-5? How do I get the frontend to do the interactive
> display of the MHEG-5 information? I'd appreciate any info.

You might want to take a look at all the mheg links at mythtv.co.nz for
some background - http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/?cat=7

If you enable interactive TV support under MythTV 0.21 then F12 will start
the MHEG browser on channels that are carrying the stream.

As for decoding the MHEG -> XMLTV looking at a dump from the RedButton
tool rb-download would be a good start. I need to look at this myself, but
i've been concentrating on the audio/video support for DTT first.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales at openmedia.co.nz