[mythtvnz] DVB-T

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Tue Mar 18 20:05:23 GMT 2008

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 22:33 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:
>

>>> Yup.. TVNZ have decided to simulcast in AC3 and AAC for TV One and TV 2.
>>>
>>> Surprised at the two different subtitle variants. They must both be
>>> embedded in the same DVB PID.
>>>

> I went back to mythtv and I can now view TV1 and TV2 100% even with AC3
> Multichannel sound coming out of the SPDIF (my reciever says its Dolby
> Digital 3/2.1 Sound (All 5 speakers Enabled), but have yet to hear
> anything apart from 2 channels as I guess there is nothing broadcast yet
> which uses it.  Also uses ~100% of the 4800+ AMD64 X2 Processor (99% on
> Xorg on 1 processor and ~80%  mythfrontend on the other processor and
> rarely it goes to 100% and you get video slowing down)
>
> Maybe a 4800+ is a tiny little bit slow until nvidia give linux users
> the ability to use h264 hardware speedup on their cards (purevideo)

Yeah. We are a bit stuffed. Expect to see accelerated H.264 from Intel
long before NVidia based on conversations at Linux.conf.au

> The other channels are using Interlaced H264 stuff which gives mythtv
> problems so you get..
>
> 2008-03-18 23:18:49.217 [h264 @ 0xb7253468]Interlaced pictures + spatial
> direct mode is not implemented

Myth still doesn't have the recent ffmpeg H.264 patched then. Sadly even
with these there are playback issues

> and crashes mythtv 1/2 the time

I'm surprised at only 1/2 the time
> testing the radio NZ National you get lots of audio buffering stops and
> starts. Its a MP3 Stream which you can heaer

Same problems with DVB-S Radio, its a known bug

> the funny thing is. I'l back to using rabbit ears to see the DVB-T :-)
> TV1+2 do work 100% in mythtv until probably next week when they change
> codecs again :-)

Well soft launch is 2nd April so they won't be changing things too much now.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales at openmedia.co.nz