[mythtvnz] (no subject)

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Mar 13 04:07:09 GMT 2008

On Thu, March 13, 2008 4:47 pm, Hadley Rich wrote:
> On Thursday 13 March 2008 16:39:32 Steve Hodge wrote:
>> I disagree. I ran 256MB in my combined FE/BE for well over a year
>> without
>> any issues. I now have 512MB and I'd say that's fine. My advice is that
>> if
>> you have 256MB, then try it with that and then buy more if you need it..
>
> Indeed, I ran a FE/BE on 512MB RAM for quite some time (720x576).
>
> It does depends on the output resolution, version and theme. The higher
> the
> resolution the more RAM you will use. The more graphics in the theme the
> more
> RAM you will use.
>
> If you were running something like blootube-wide at 1280x720 on 0.20 you
> could
> use a lot of RAM - i.e. > 512MB for the frontend alone.
>
> There were some fixes that when in during the 0.21 development process to
> reduce the memory footprint of the frontend by reusing image caches. So
> the
> frontend in 0.21 will use less RAM - a lot in some cases, something like
> 75%
> was found in some cases I believe.

A lot of the cache improvements are in 0.20-fixes as well. Makes a big
difference with 720x576 based themes as well.

I'd recommend a minimum of 512 personally..

I'd also recommend PVR 150 or 500 cards. If you are interested I might
have some 500 cards in stock for a good price.

PCI video card might be a bit of an issue though..

Like most of the others I'd allow for freeview DTH (satellite) as it is
damn awesome compared with Sky or analogue.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
sales   - sales at openmedia.co.nz