[mythtvnz] (no subject)

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Thu Mar 13 03:47:10 GMT 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008 16:39:32 Steve Hodge wrote:
> I disagree. I ran 256MB in my combined FE/BE for well over a year without
> any issues. I now have 512MB and I'd say that's fine. My advice is that if
> you have 256MB, then try it with that and then buy more if you need it.

Indeed, I ran a FE/BE on 512MB RAM for quite some time (720x576).

It does depends on the output resolution, version and theme. The higher the
resolution the more RAM you will use. The more graphics in the theme the more
RAM you will use.

If you were running something like blootube-wide at 1280x720 on 0.20 you could
use a lot of RAM - i.e. > 512MB for the frontend alone.

There were some fixes that when in during the 0.21 development process to
reduce the memory footprint of the frontend by reusing image caches. So the
frontend in 0.21 will use less RAM - a lot in some cases, something like 75%
was found in some cases I believe.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware