[mythtvnz] Hardy updates breaks schedule

Barry Clearwater barryc at bcsystems.co.nz
Mon Jun 30 02:42:18 BST 2008

Might just run the upgrade in a terminal next time, in case there was a
question being posed by the package.  We are using xfce as a front end
desktop, the logs complained of libgnome2-perl not being present.  The
update manage has a gtk (dialog box) method of interacting with the user
and I know I left it unattended, my 15yr old son was nearby but says he
never saw anything.
I recall responding to the samba questions and kept my current config
but nothing else.

So two options, make sure libgnome2-perl is present or do
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

from terminal.

Security wise, I'd suspect for most people their mythbox is not the main
computer in the house, so it shouldn't have an interface present to the
world.  If you're not sure start asking questions here about how your
network should be setup.  With our linux-only home (ok, sons machine
gets a windows game session on a frequent basis) we have one firewall
computer, the rest of the network is behind it.  So if this is your case
also, I think one can tread a little more lightly as to security issues
in the mythtv front, I believe you can more safely delay updates if
you're doing them "Just to make my system more safe from intruders".

Hope that helps.
Barry