[mythtvnz] New LCD Screen

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Jun 23 03:00:55 BST 2008

On Mon, June 23, 2008 11:18 am, Dean Pemberton wrote:
> Given that everyone was so helpful to Dylan and his new Amp.  I thought
> I'd ask about LCDs as I'm thinking about upgrading my current CRT in the
> next while.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1)  I've decided that given that the LCD will be 14feet away from my
> current seating position, there is little point for going to 1080p over
> 720p.  I'd welcome comments regarding how I've totally misunderstood the
> point here. =)

Depends how picky you are. I can tell the difference.

> 2)  I'm looking at the Sony 46" V series.  I had considered the 46" X
> series  but decided against it based on point #1.  Is there anything
> else which would make me want to consider the X series again apart from
> res?

The newer V/W/D/X screens with built in freeview|HD support are in the
pipeline so it might be worth waiting.

> 3)  The X series reviews have slammed it for SD upscaling performance,
> saying that it looks worse for SD content than old CRT sets.  Do any V
> Series owners have SD upscaling comments?

Depends on the quality of the SD source. It is a problem with all LCD
screens. As everyone else has covered get the MythTV box to do all of your
scaling where possible.

> 4)  I'll admit to being conversant with the current Sony ranges and less
> so with Samsung and Toshiba.  Are there other 46"+ sets which people own
> and would recommend?

Newest gear from Samsung is pretty damn good, and you get a free zinwell
HD decoder.

> 5)  I'm  also going to need to upgrade my video card.  What are the
> current list of  AGP based HDMI video cards which Myth loves?

HDMI or DVI. Doesn't make a lot of odds for MythTV.

With myPVR V2 I drive quite a lot of 720p displays from a 6150 integrated
graphics and DVI.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz