[mythtvnz] New LCD Screen

Dylan Hall dylan at deedums.com
Mon Jun 23 01:01:06 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:18 +1200, Dean Pemberton wrote:

> Questions:
> 3)  The X series reviews have slammed it for SD upscaling performance,
> saying that it looks worse for SD content than old CRT sets.  Do any V
> Series owners have SD upscaling comments?

I'm not sure about the upscaling itself, but I feed it an analoge RF
signal for free to air TV, and it looks shite. I don't attribute this to
the TV, but rather a low quality source made far larger than is
sensible.

My feeling is that LCD TV's in general have a tendency to exaggerate the
qualities of the source material, e.g. a poor source looks terrible and
a good source looks great.

> 5)  I'm  also going to need to upgrade my video card.  What are the
> current list of  AGP based HDMI video cards which Myth loves?

I use an Nvidia 8400 something, although that is a PCI Express card.
I briefly tried an embedded intel thing, 3000 I think, and it didn't
cope. There were strange artifacts that gave the impression it wasn't
fast enough (horizonal line moving down the screen similar to the effect
when vsync is disabled when gaming).  The driver also liked to crash.

Dylan