[mythtvnz] New LCD Screen

Dean Pemberton dean at deanpemberton.com
Mon Jun 23 00:18:57 BST 2008

Given that everyone was so helpful to Dylan and his new Amp.  I thought
I'd ask about LCDs as I'm thinking about upgrading my current CRT in the
next while.

Questions:

1)  I've decided that given that the LCD will be 14feet away from my
current seating position, there is little point for going to 1080p over
720p.  I'd welcome comments regarding how I've totally misunderstood the
point here. =)

2)  I'm looking at the Sony 46" V series.  I had considered the 46" X
series  but decided against it based on point #1.  Is there anything
else which would make me want to consider the X series again apart from res?

3)  The X series reviews have slammed it for SD upscaling performance,
saying that it looks worse for SD content than old CRT sets.  Do any V
Series owners have SD upscaling comments?

4)  I'll admit to being conversant with the current Sony ranges and less
so with Samsung and Toshiba.  Are there other 46"+ sets which people own
and would recommend?

5)  I'm  also going to need to upgrade my video card.  What are the
current list of  AGP based HDMI video cards which Myth loves?

Thanks all.

Dean