[mythtvnz] Hi to the list, Here is my Mythtv Setup ..

Tim Gibson tim_donna at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Jun 19 07:40:16 BST 2008

HI all

Going through some growing pains with my mytvTV setup, started with a 250g
hdd (os, everything else), added a 500g hdd (backed up movies, music, tv to
keep).  Now I'm building up the parts to make up a NAS box based on the
Intel D945GCLF Atom motherboard $125 cpu onboard. Going to put the OS on an
8g flash card and move the 500g hdd into it and add a 750g hdd at the same
time.  Split the drives up so 250g on each to become RAID1 (250g mirrored
storage) and the remainder RAID0 so I end up with more initial storage space
than before also means I can add more drives later and expand the RAID0
array.

With all the music on this machine too I'll put squeezecentre on it for my
squeezebox, one less service running on the myth backend.  My older celeron
2.8 is having a hard time with the latest myth and yadf2x deinterlacing.

Tim

2008/6/17 Bernard Mentink <bmentink at gmail.com>:

> >> Is a RAID necessary? ?Its only TV after all. ?I use nuvexport to save
> > >things I want to keep, and put them on another server.
>
> >I agree, I don't really care enough about recordings to use RAID on the
> myth backend. Anything that is important is on a RAID in the main >server.
>

> Yes, but in my situation my Mythtv box "is" my main server, and works very
> well doing both roles, at a lot less cost.
> But your points are taken, RAID is probably not the answer, I am still
> looking for the best solution.
>
> Cheers,
> B M

Regards