[mythtvnz] Hi to the list, Here is my Mythtv Setup ..

toby at np.co.nz toby at np.co.nz
Mon Jun 16 06:34:25 BST 2008

> Adding drives is supposed to be really easy with the new storage groups
> part of mythtv 0.21

I have found the new storage groups are easier than raid and may actually
offer slightly better performance depending on how you set them up.
I have three disks of different sizes (500Gb, 350Gb and 250Gb) which would
be a pain under raid anyway.
I set them up as three seperate disks under the same storage group.
Myth automatically equally balances them out and distributes the recordings
over the disks so that roughly the same percentage of space is used on all
the disks.

If you are doing Multirec off the same tuner then it streams those
recordings to the same disk but if you are recording off seperate tuners
then it sends the streams to seperate disks.
My system is running absolutely sweet now.
The great thing is that I can add more disks later on and its easier the
LVM. Its also easy to shift recordings off a failing disk onto another disk
in the same storage group and then replace it or leave it out if you want
to.

Toby