[mythtvnz] MythTV-NZ Recommended Hardware List

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 23:24:01 BST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Dean Pemberton <dean at deanpemberton.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Nick Rout wrote:
>> > I don't want to stifle discussion, but I wonder at the utility of the
>> > discussion on a local list when there are many wise hardware heads on
>> > mythtv-user and other places.
>>
>> You make a good point.  I think there is benefit however to discussing
>> what the local community uses and finds readily available.
>> It would seem for example, that most of the people in NZ run one of the
>> two popular DVB-S cards here.
>
> But we're running them because people overseas are running them (a number of
> us had to buy our SkyStar2s from overseas suppliers). That supports Nicks
> point.

I'm not really dogmatic about my comment, I can certainly see the
merit in discussing hardware that is peculiar to the NZ situation
(face it mythtv-user is US oriented and they don't really do DVB-S or
-T, and certainly not HD via h.264).

There is merit to whatever is put in place that pertains to NZ being
on a wiki (for ease of keeping it up to date), possibly
http://wiki.mythtv.org or http://pvr.geek.nz

I am not a great believer in creating ever more sources of info, when
there are support channels in place already. The mythtv wiki will get
us the widest coverage.