[mythtvnz] MythTV-NZ Recommended Hardware List (was: Budget Myth spec)

Phill Coxon phill at getresults.co.nz
Tue Jun 10 09:54:39 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 16:37 +1200, Dean Pemberton wrote:
> We have hardware questions on the list from time to time and a lot of
> them boil down to..
> "Whats the recommended hardware for....."
>
> Is it worth spending some time working out the MythTV-NZ recommended
> machine (or set of machines) so that we can get Steven to put the list
> up on the web and point people to it?

I think this is a great idea.

Very slowly I've been building a mythtv box - the main reason for the
delay being I just don't know what direction to go in terms of
hardware.

It would be very useful to have recommended minimum hardware
(particularly CPU, motherboard, graphics card requirements) for a SD
setup and for a HD setup.

I'd like to get some feedback on some of the newer motherboards with
onboard graphics / HDMI - whether they are usable or if it's better to
go with a separate nvidia card.

I'd also like some recommendations for making a quieter / silent system
in terms of case / fan / cooling system etc.